Friday, April 4, 2008

Guerilla Utila

The ferry ride was crowded, but pleasant, for the most part. It was a beautiful day, the sea was calm, and it was only an hour´s ride to the Bay Island of Utila - known for cheap diving and whale sharks. I found plenty of the former, but none of the latter. The only down side to the ferry was a large group of Honduran tourists who apparently had never been on a boat before, and ran around taking thousands of photos, or sitting next to me, looking quite green with sea sickness.

On Utila, I was able to leave my pack at Capt. Morgan´s dive shop while I looked for affordable lodging. I found that at Alton´s Dive Centre - $3 dorm room (which I ended up having to myself), and $25 dives. Perfect! The staff there are very nice, and the clientelle fun to be around. I dove twice a day for 5 days (including the day I arrived and the day I left), and then we all would get dinner and/or drinks in the evening. A very pleasant stay, and the diving was excellent. Besides the amazing things we say under the water, we also were able to boat in a pod of pilot whales, and swim in an enormous pod of spinner dolphins - over 200 dolphins, the captain thought. Amazing. I considered staying a bit longer to do my rescue diver training, I needed to meet Talor after a few days in La Ceiba.

No comments: